Subject: A letter to the editor
From: "Paul Davies" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 95 13:02:31 EST

In the article "More Attractive Bevels" (March 1995), Jim 
Woodruff describes a method for creating sharp edges on the 
smoothed beveled surfaces of a text object by separating the 
bevel polygons from the side polygons. At the end of the article 
Mr. Woodruff states that this method increases the object's 
point count. What he did not mention is that you can avoid such 
memory expenditures by adjusting the beveled surface's Maximum 
Smoothing Angle in the Surface Menu. This procedure eliminates 
the need for the aforementioned object editing, in most cases, 
where a sharp distinction between smoothed surfaces is required. 
A value of 40.0 degrees usually works very nicely.

paul d.

Paul Davies
Artist/Animator
CapDisc  Bethesda, MD.
[email-masked]  or  uunet!capitol!davies